Pakistan Mathlete Contest (Mathlete.pk)
Pakistan Mathlete Contest is a collaborative project of Future Biz Technologies, and AFAQ a collaboration that is engaged in developing and promoting ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) solutions for the education sector in Pakistan.
One of its solutions is based on mathematics in which training programs have been developed for teachers as well as students to excel in the subject.
Mathlete is an extension of these training programs in which knowledge and learning in mathematics is tested online through multiple-choice quizzes and gaps are identified and highlighted through different sets of reports.
The module can be used for simple assessment of students or it can be transformed into a quiz contest with different stages that can be conducted at school level or countrywide level.
The following are the salient features of Mathlete:
- It is an online Mathematics assessment tool in the form of quiz contest
- It can be conducted at school/college level and can be transformed into a countrywide activity
- It emphasizes on mathematics – a subject considered extremely difficult by most of the students
- It offers a fun way to excel in mathematics
- It gives an opportunity to the mathematics student to compete at the highest level and get rewarded
Mathlete Contest assesses contestants’ knowledge in mathematics in the form of quizzes having multiple-choice questions. The format is briefed below:
- Each quiz has 25 questions that are randomly picked up from a huge database on mathematics questions.
Four Answer Options:
- Each question has four options as possible answers. The contestant has to select one option to proceed to the next question.
- There is a time limit of 90 seconds to select an answer for each question.
Limited Number of Attempts:
- The contestant will have to buy a Mathlete Contest Scratch Card to attempt quizzes online. Each scratch code will allow a maximum of 15 attempts.
- Scoring is time based – a member gets a maximum of 0.40 Points for a question if he/she selects an answer and clicks “Next” within 1 second. If the answer is selected and “Next” is clicked after 1 second, the points start deducting from a total of 0.40.
- A contestant has to attempt all of the 25 questions to finish the quiz and to appear in the rankings on the basis of points attained. Each quiz has maximum 10 points.
All contestants have to purchase a Mathlete Contest Scratch Card to enter into the competition. A scratch card will cost Rs.100 and will allow a contestant a maximum of 15 attempts.
The scratch cards will be available across the country at the branches and outlets of the following partners of Mathlete:
- Servis Shoes
- AFAQ (Association for Academic Qualification)
There will be five levels of contestants in Mathlete Contest based on the following age groups:
- 7 – 11 years old
- 12 -14 years old
- 15-16 years old
- 17 -24 years old
- 24+ years
Each level of contestants will get questions according to their age group and thus the difficulty level of questions will remain the same for all contestants in a particular age group.
The competition will comprise of three phases in total:
For each of the five levels, cash prizes of equal amounts will be awarded to the top 3 position holders while Mobile Phones will be given to 4th and 5th positions’ holders.
The contest will be conducted in June/July with the following schedule for different activities and phases:
For more details and taking part, visit: http://www.mathlete.pk/